Summer is a fantastic time to boost the immune system and detox naturally with essential oils. Our bodies are inundated with toxins from cosmetics, household cleaning products, genetically modified foods, chemically-laced drinks and processed foods. Not to mention the air pollutants!
There are side effects of these toxins, whether we recognize their origin or not: fatigue, digestive issues, low immunity, hormone disruptions, chronic unexplained illnesses, fertility and menstrual issues, migraines, depression and anxiety.
Essential oils are a great addition to your healing toolbox as you enter this season of renewal and rebirth. And while there are many essential oils that are wonderful for detox and immune-boosting, here’s a list of the 8 best essential oils for diffusion, topical application in a salt scrub or rubbed on the soles of the feet.
Eight Top Essential Oils to Boost the Immune System
- Grapefruit: this wonderful citrus oil promotes cleansing and detoxification of the skin and is also an uplifting oil that can ease a low mood. It’s also wonderful for easing inflammation in the body and for supporting healthy digestion.
- Blue Cypress: this oil is particularly important to support healthy respiratory processes in the body and it is the ONLY wood to contain the constituents guaiol and guaiazulene. Blue Cypress is said to release pessimism and irritability from the body. One of my favorite blends that contains Blue Cypress is Young Living’s Brain Power.
- Peppermint: this is one of the most popular essential oils, and for good reason. It supports healthy digestion and respiration and can detoxify the body through its purifying properties. It’s also mentally uplifting so a wonderful addition to a light, happy spring blend in your diffuser!
- Fennel: this is a lesser-used essential oil, but an important component of any detox regimen because of its ability to support the circulatory, glandular and digestive processes in the body. Fennel itself is used as a digestive aid in India, and is offered to counteract any negative reaction the diner might have to the meal.
- Juniper: this oil is an AMAZING detoxifier!! It’s one of my go-to’s for natural skin detox and is one of the oldest plants ever used by humans. This is also a fantastic oil for the season of renewal as it helps us let go of the past emotionally, hence it’s use in the blend Into the Future.
- Juva Cleanse: this is a proprietary blend created by Young Living for liver detoxification–perfect for those of us (all of us!) who have been exposed to chemicals in our food and in the air. The liver is the organ that filters toxins from our body, so keeping it in good working order is critical to our body’s health. As a blend, it incorporates three oils which are not included in the singles oils on this list: Helichrysum, Ledum and Celery Seed, all of which are known for their restorative properties. Given that all three have a close relationship with the Liver in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), these oils help the body and spirit release anger. In TCM, the Liver is in charge of “coursing and draining”, and when under-functioning, the body manifests signs of Qi and Blood stagnation including irritability and pain.
- Lemon: Without a doubt, lemon is one of the most frequently-used essential oils. Not only is it inexpensive, but it has a wide variety of uses including detoxification and purification of both the environment…and the body. A drop in a morning glass of water is a great way to start the day and can rev up the metabolism and support digestion.
- Rosemary: Last but not least, rosemary. Not only an amazing addition to a body scrub, this oils is used for mental clarity and alertness and to support the hormonal and lymphatic systems.
To learn which company I personally have decided is the best source of quality herbs, please visit my Essential Oils page. To join as a wholesale customer or to purchase as a retail customer, please visit this link.